Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dinner with Cousins

This Evening Angela (Strickland) Jones fed dinner to Elder Shumway who was on splits. She sent the following note to us:

Wendy and Scott,
It was an honor to feed your son tonight!  He is a wonderful missionary, we feed the missionaries often in our little ward here that is more like a branch.  After feeding all types of missionaries you know when you have a solid one with a solid testimony, Elder Shumway fits the bill.  He is working hard and is tired from it.  You should be so proud of your son.  

When I asked him if he knew how we were related he said, "I think through some aunt on my Mother's side."  It made me chuckle,... he had no clue who I was.  I tried to explain it in terms of his Great Grandmother Donna and my Grandmother Nellie and he just looked at me and said "OK" So I pulled out the Blue Johanson Book, and then a light bulb went on.  He said, " Hey, I have seen some of these pictures in my Grandma's house."  As we talked a little more about our relation, I could tell there was still some doubt about how close my  family "really" was to the Clark family.  So I finally looked at him and said," Hey you know your sister Sheralyn; MY sister is Sharilyn!"  Finally a REAL  connection and all the light bulbs turned on.  He knew about the kids in the wheel chairs, and especially about Madeline, the feisty one in the wheel chair.  He also knew about the tough girl cousins, "the 5 girls who play street hockey." (Michelle's girls). We  had a wonderful visit, We didn't get the chance to exchange any stories about my Grandma, but we just had a wonderful visit.  

It didn't hit me until he left, but I am so thankful for all the the Johanson Reunions and for how close the Johanson cousins have been.  I really started to reflect on how excited Nellie and Donna must have been  to see us sitting there together, family, although we had never met, talking about the work of the Lord and Family; the two most important things in this life and the life to come.  It made me realize what a strong legacy of Faith our Grandmothers left for us and I only pray that I can do the same for my children. So thank you for raising a great son who came on mission and gave our family the chance to feel his spirit and allow his spirit and testimony influence  my young boys.  

Love,

Angela, Tann, Samantha (7) Payton (6) Landon (4) Jacquelyn (1 and asleep in her crib)


No comments:

Post a Comment