Monday, November 5, 2012

New Missionaries!


 When I first arrived in the OKC mission, there were 114 missionaries. When I was still a newer missionary, we moved from 114 to about 124 missionaries.  When I was in Norman, there were some inspired changes made where President Taylor split the mission from 5 zones to 8 zones. He thought that it was better to have less people in each zone so that the ZL's could have more personal ministering opportunities with missionaries in their zones and more proselyting time in their own areas. 

 Little did he know that there would be a flood of 86 new missionaries coming to our mission between Dec 2012 and March 2013. 

  But now President Taylor is relying on the Zone Leaders to help figure out where all these missionaries are going to go. We need 43 new areas to put them in. 43 new apartments. 43 new phones and we need to decide which companionships will have cars / who will have bikes and  which new districts will be formed! 

 It is pretty crazy.  Good things are happening but it is going to be hard work trying to work it all out smoothly.  The mission will have doubled since I came here. We will have about 216 missionaries in the OKC mission by the end of March or April.     I think the Lord is hastening his work.

        We've been working hard with our investigators. Some of them have dropped us and don't want to continue taking the lessons. It is always sad when they do that.
        This transfer ends on Wed. Elder Ali'ifua is getting transferred to Wichita Falls, TX. The same area I served in.  On Wed I will be getting Elder Hanes as a new ZL companion. I know Elder Hanes very well. He was a spanish speaking missionary in Norman when the tornado hit. We helped do clean-up together.  I'm going to miss Elder Ali'ifua. He has taught me a lot. He goes home in about a week and a half to sign his scholarship to play football at Utah State.  You should look for him on TV next year!
       
                  My address is:         2204 S Santa Fe #201
                                                    Moore, OK   73160
-Love Elder Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment